Why become a member? ×

Things to lookout for in a tutor?

Owencf

You will probably develop quickest if you enjoy every minute with your tutor - the sort of person that you can feel relaxed with, that you rate as a player and perhaps most importantly is tuned into your musical wavelength rather than strictly their own ( ...and maybe drinks Guiness?!!).

Remember that the best players don't always make best tutors and the most qualified doesn't mean automatically make them the most musically talented ! Good luck with it all !

Whether you like their playing? Or think you can learn something from them? Or have a recommendation from someone else? I got a recommendation for lessons with Simon Woolf, who I had no idea about at the time but I now realise was rather a good pick of first double bass teacher. Since then I have had studied with various people who I wanted to learn from because I liked their approach to the instrument or particular philosophy of music. Not necessarily all bass players mind you. I think if you have a lesson with someone and you didn't feel like you learned anything then you've got the wrong teacher.

Well having the total sum musical talent of a rock means i can learn something from pretty much anyone :D
not to mention open mindedness, and a desire to learn.
Aberdeen isnt exactly thriving with Double bassists and made it hard to find a tutor to start with. :unsure:

All answers to this thread on good and bad aspects will be appreciated.

I feel that a good tutor should be willing to adapt to your needs. For example, if it's important for you to be able to gig the bass quickly, playing a particular genre, the tutor should be willing to focus on that, rather than say bowing and scales.

I'm not saying bowing and scales aren't important, just that you might want to get working pretty quickly, and it's more important to get those parts of technique sorted so you don't hurt yourself etc.

I have a bee in my bonnet anyhow about how unwise it is to try and learn too many new things all at the same time, but I know from various people how commonly teachers insist on starting at the beginning (like you were 12) and have people struggling with the bow when they haven't even got a left hand yet.

Tin hat on. :D

Food for thought... Students who get into the Royal academy spend their time developing the most simplest of exercises which allow them to take on the most demanding Double bass repertoire out there... So... Its up to you to focus either on the effortless demand of the double bass or struggle with the demands that repertoire asks of you! Learning notes is easy, but getting them to be lyrical and sing is another thing!!! Anyways, good luck! wish you all the best!!!! have a listen to this http://youtu.be/5x-_EiW2BZs?t=12m11s Perfection to me!

Look for someone you can really get along with, there's no point taking lessons if you end up disliking the tutor. Ive had a few over the years and my current one is my favourite. Full of advice, doesn't mind being texted or phoned whenever if i have a quick question before a concert. But the main factor for me is i want someone who is a professional that has been through all the hoops and who can defiantly say no and yes.

Rather surprised about the age of my Tutor he is only 25, but seems sound enough.
he is mainly focusing on Arco but knows that i would like to work on Pizz as well.
Not a huge fan of Orchestra stuff he compromised with Ceilidh music once i have the basics down anyway.

I already owe him 2 pints <_< stupid rest notes.