Why become a member? ×

Noisy PJ Jazz Special - Earthing problem or something else?

didle

Hi All,
I'm having some problems with my Jazz Special - basically, it's really, really noisy. I recently replaced the pickups with an SD Hot Stack in the bridge position and a Fender P in the neck (they call it the "Original"). I also replaced the bridge at the same time.

Since then I've had lots of noise issues. With both pickups on full I get a loud buzzing. If I touch the bridge, machine heads, or exposed metal in the pickup selection switch the buzzing stops and the bass sounds fine. If I touch the top of my amp, the buzzing stops. When I play the instrument there is a definite electrical click when the string makes contact with the fret.

Using my US P or my Warwick Streamer I don't get an issues. I've not got any other pedals etc. plugged into the same socket.. just the amp I'm playing through....

I don't recall having any noise issues before I replaced the pups and bridge but it's possible they were there - the bass is over 20 years old!

Can anyone shed any light on my problem? Is this an earthing problem or something else?

Cheers,
Doug

It *looks* like it's connected - I'll check it properly with a multi-meter tomorrow. The bridge is black but the paint on the bottom has been filed off to get a good connection.

Mines a little more complicated than your diagram as in addition to the 2 volume and single tone pot I have a selector switch too.