Why become a member? ×

Tru-Bass 88 break-in tone change?

Grissle

All strings go through an initial break-in "zingy" phase. For the nylons, it is short and by the time you've played the first set they will have settled in for an indefinite time.

What causes strings to go "dull" is when gunk and grime work into the windings damping the tone down. On flats and nylons this is less of a concern, and the strings last longer, because the outer windings or sleevings are tight enough around the core to prevent, or at least delay, the amount of gunk accumulating around the core between the windings.

When bass strings were not as easy to purchase or had to be ordered if the player was far from a retailer, some players would take their strings off and boil them in water or soak them in isopropyl alcohol or methylated spirits to loosen and clean out the gunk in efforts to make the strings last longer. But all this did was to put more stress on the string from taking it on and off, weakening the core.

For nylons, the way you can tell it is time to change strings is not from the tone, but from the sustain. When they get to the point they don't sustain as significantly as when installed, then it's time.

Edited by iiipopes

have to agree with iiipopes about not much changes over time with the trubass 88s, had then on my 5 string fretless for around 3 years now and still sound great. maybe not as much sustain as when new! but still ring out well. i have them on my beatles viola bass and they are only a year old and do sustan a bit more than my fretless. but even after 3 years of playing the 88s still sound to good to change on my fretless. i realy love the double bass sound of the 88s.

Edited by Bill-R