Why become a member? ×

Muting notes

deejayen

I’m working my way through a beginner’s bass exercise which is in the style of James Jamerson. On the tab there are some notes which are shown with an ‘x’ on the E or A string. I presume it means a ‘mute’, but how do you play them? I’ve been deadening the string with my fretting fingers, but I wondered if that style would use a picking hand palm mute or some other technique. I’m not sure how ‘dead’ the note is supposed to be. As an example, one note is a triplet where the first note is picked, and the other two are muted.

Thanks.

I think they're called ghost notes. I play them by just lifting my left hand off the fretboard slightly and and pick the string as you normally would with your right plucking finger. This produces a 'dunk' noise but you can't hear the note. It gives a rhythmic feel to the bassline. It's used a lot in funk and motown stuff.

If you're playing Jamerson stuff with ghost notes it doesn't sound like beginners basslines to me?

Edited by gjones

Thanks for clarifying that. It sounds like I've been doing the right thing. I'm just practicing on my guitar until my first bass arrives, but wasn't sure if there was a different technique for bass (with the wider string spacing etc).

I think the book is called 'Rock Bass' by Dominic Palmer. I bought it because it gives some real life examples of different styles with a 'simple' and more complex exercise for each. I thought it might give me an idea of what to play, including some runs, and then I can go off and do my own thing. It's a new thing for me, so it's taking me a bit of time to get comfortable reading the timing and feeling the groove. I'm not sure what level the book is pitched at - you're probably right that it's not for a total beginner, as some of the exercises seem to be pretty impressive!