Why become a member? ×

Help! Impedence problem!!

rockinbassman

Right guys, I have an EBS 2x10 and 15, which are both rated at 4ohms (which as I know = 2). The problem is my head is a Gallien Krueger 700RB11 which says on the back, you can only run 1x4ohm cab. Is there any way round this without buying a new amp!! Also would I ruin something if I ran them anyway!? Im not amazingly clued up in this dept!!
Paul

[quote name='rockinbassman' post='206005' date='May 25 2008, 03:58 PM']Right guys, I have an EBS 2x10 and 15, which are both rated at 4ohms (which as I know = 2). The problem is my head is a Gallien Krueger 700RB11 which says on the back, you can only run 1x4ohm cab. Is there any way round this without buying a new amp!! Also would I ruin something if I ran them anyway!? Im not amazingly clued up in this dept!!
Paul[/quote]
You could wire them in series to give you 8 ohms.
Helpful site here
[url="http://colomar.com/Shavano/2x12wiring.html"]http://colomar.com/Shavano/2x12wiring.html[/url]

Regards

Will.

Yes, you could ruin the amp if you operate it below the minimum impedance specified (4 ohms).

While it's very easy to wire up individual speakers in series, it's harder to arrange separate speaker cabinets in this way. Also if you do it wrong you could end up with a situation where you cannot use the speaker cabinets on their own - you can only use them together as a pair.

I wouldn't recommend this as you will end up with "non standard" wiring which could come back to cause you grief.

Yes you will likely damage the amp or keep tripping the protection.

No there is not a way round it. You could get some leads made up by OBBM etc to connect the cabs in series but then you will only get what the amp delivers into 8 ohms (still a few 100 watts I expect). Interesting link about wiring cabs but I dont know how you can re-wire a 1x15 :)