Why become a member? ×

Another SX thread!

Jono Bolton

After all this talk of how great SX basses and their siblings (Jim Deacons and those no name ones) are, I've been considering flogging my Mexican P and using the money to fund one an SX or similar.
My Fender is ok, but it's the mods that I've put on myself that make it, it was pretty crap when it was bog standard. I'd take the Duncan pickup out and take the Badass off it before I sold it and whack them on the new bass.
My thinking is that I could sell the bass on ebay for, say, £175, buy a new bass for about £100 and then have £75 towards a new guitar amp (Epiphone valve Jr head for £100). Would I be buying an inferior bass and making a mistake, or do they really live up to the hype? I'd probably get one of the "no name" P copies from Curly Music in Liverpool, I prefer the headstock and like the lack of a logo.
Any guidance from the SX collective would be great.
Cheers
Jono

I"ve seen a couple of nice sx basses and they look nice although i"ve never tried one but personally i dont think i would sell my mex precision as i"m a sucker for a precision bass but thats just my opinion, each to their own.
Go for it, you have nothing to lose amd if you dont like it then trade it in for a better bass.