Why become a member? ×

Right - more PA questions

I've not searched for PA suff because as we all know, technology moves on and I want fresh opinions.

We're now thinking of replacing our PA - we have a bloody huge thing made up of 2x tops, 2x mids and 2x subs (all 4 ohm each) being run by a separate Peavey PV2600 (probably putting out 900w per side at 4 ohm) for each pair of speakers (ie one speaker per channel), with a crossover to split the various frequencies. We use a wholly unnecessary 24 channel allen and heath desk a some rack effects we've never used.
We've reevaluated what we need and decided that the rig that we've got is bloody huge and unnecessary and so I'm thinking that we split it up and sell it off and replace it. What I want is your recommendations for the following:

A stereo power amp so I can run a mono biamped system. Must be lightweight, around 3kw (1.5k per side) and must have a built in crossover like the peavey does
Speakers - I want subs and some full range ones (I assume they need to be full range if we are getting rid of the mids). Must be able to handle 750 - 1000 watts and have be 4 ohm each if the amp goes down to 2 or 8 ohm if the min load of the amp is 4 ohms.
Desk - 16 channels, preferably that can fit in the top of a 19" rack (if I can get a big rack on big castors that the front, back and the lid come off).

so what do you reckon? I've got the other bits and bobs to connect it together. Also, we're going to sell off our big PA - should we split it (I think so) or try and sell it as one item?

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='205118' date='May 23 2008, 05:11 PM']I've not searched for PA suff because as we all know, technology moves on and I want fresh opinions.[/quote]

Sorry John, I've not been in the big PA game for a few years so don't have fresh opinions (not kept up with what's out there). I'll leave it to others to comment.

What I would say is this though:

Your old system - amp dies - you can do work arounds with running two cabs per side in mono per channel - gig can still go ahead.

New method - amp dies - easier on the weight and transport, but no gig.

Something to consider.

Edited by Huge Hands

i agree with the person above try some active speakers. even though im 15 i know what im talking about (kinda) i run sound for a church of 400sometimes. we have massive 500w speakers. why? dont ask me. anyways yeah try some of those active speakers they sound about the same as regular speakers run through a sound system. gl man
oh and im from Usa so i dunno the diffrence in equiptment that yall use? no clue,
hope this helps. prob doesnt.. owell gl