Why become a member? ×

A bit of Classical

Eggy

Hi,

With the band on a bit of break, I wanted to learn something new, and a bit different. I wanted to try something melodic rather than a normal "bassline"

Had a look at Fur Elise, Beethoven. Enjoyed it altho part I learnt was only the first section can see that to play this really well will take focus.

Tab (i know I know) easy to find. May have to hunt down full score. That will improve my reading too

Anyone else playing any classical and suggest any other pieces?

Cheers

Eggy

Why not check out some classical guitar pieces? You might have to transpose or re-arrange the fingerings, but some of Terraga might be interesting (pretty dramatic) or Ferrer... Otherwise, check out some Cello music (right kind of pitch and speed). Elgar or Bach (cello concerto No.3 for example) might be pretty cool?

You ask me this at 10:10PM while I have a cold and a headache? Is that logical? ;)

My immediate thought was some Bach fugues, because the bass lines are so incredibly suggestive that one could hear the whole piece in one's head. Then I realised you may not be that filled to the rim with Bach music.
How about listening to a fugue on YT and play the bass line to it once you know the piece fairly well?
In case, just about any organ fuge should do, depending on your chops.
I have a nice, specific one in my head, in d minor IMS, but can't remember the Bach Werke number to it. I'll try and find it, and will report back.

Next, and simple or demanding depending on choice: the Tenor parts in some Renaissance songs - "Tenor" here not being the high-pitched male voice, but the main and bearing part - most oftenly sung by a tenor indeed.
For an example, I direct you to one of the songs form "Scherzi Musicali" (sp?) by Italian master Claudio Monteverdi.
A great one (to play at least) of those is called "Non cosi tosto" or similar. Now that is perfect Renaissance music, and not even his best.
Its "cello" part should be luverly as well, btw.

Next, and normally considerably more demanding: the cello parts from Beethoven's late string quartets.
This is unbelievable stuff. I'm sure a Google search will direct you quickly, coz my brain seems not capable now to remember which one would be cool.

Agh, what do I care. Just go home with all your questions. Bah!

sniff,
bert

Edited by BassTractor