Why become a member? ×

Amp recommendations?

AndyBass

I've recently sold on my amp as it was too big for what I needed and am now looking for something compact (once my bass is in the car, theres not room for much else) but powerful enough for pub blues & bluegrass gigs, and that could maybe function as a bit of a monitor when I'm running through the pa on bigger afairs. Any recommendations or thoughts on what wattage would suffice? I play slap, arco and pizz so need something that gives a good sound across the range.

Haha, did I mention the cheaper the better? Which puts Markbass and possibly Genz Benz out of my league (though I am quite keen on the 3.0 10t). Thanks for any suggestions!

The Genz Benz 3.0 10T is a belter of a combo for double bass, but I believe they're discontinued now so you might have to move fast to find one.

If Markbass and Genz Benz are out of your budget range it's worth keeping an eye on the for sale forum - there are bargains to be had if you're patient enough to wait for them.

The Ibanez Promethean combos might be suitable for DB - 200W with a 1x10 is a good setup. Also worth considering is the TC Electronic 2x10 combo. I had one provided as backline at a festival once and was pleasantly suprised.

Edited by TheRev

Markbass do a range of options. I use a Littlemark 500 head with a 2x10 Traveller cab. Very light and fabulous sound. I also use a Fishman Pro Bass preamp which has a compressor and phase switch. Sorts out any feedback. It's a great combination but the Markbass gear is expensive. Worth every penny though. They can be found in the second-hand market. I play in lots of different situations like you and I find that this outfit covers just about everything. If that's too big they do some very small combos which deliver the goods. Sell your bike, your Hi-Fi or your kids.

Edited by bistokid