Why become a member? ×

Ideas for runs/fills

JPS

I'm looking for a few new ideas for the odd run, or fill, to freshen up my bass playing. Over the years I have come to rely on a few tried (tired) and tested licks - i.e. the minor pentatonic, chromatic runs etc -but having just started gigging again I'm keen to develop a few new ones. Nothing overly long or elaborate, just something to throw into, ahem, Mustang Sally, or Superstition to keep things more interesting.

Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions, be it from a theory standpoint (e.g. new scales, or combinations of scales), or recommended listening, books, websites etc.

Cheers

JPS.

Transcribing is definitely the way to go. Look at Nathan Watts, Pino, Stuart Zender or whoever you like for some tasty fills!

I've got some licks on my blog but they're all pretty jazzy so may not be that appropriate for you but check them out! http://mattlawtonbass.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/LOTM

Matt is spot on. Here's a process I use, which seems to work:

1) Pick a player you like.
2) Pick a lick/fill of theirs you like but don't already know - as simple or as complex as you like
3) Learn it by ear - really learn it, concentrate on playing with the same feel and intent behind the original
4) Try and pick it apart to see what notes it contains (relative to the harmony it is over), and play it in all the keys
5) Use it as many different situations as you can - so much that people who play with you a lot give a knowing smile when they hear you play it, but not so much that they rolls their eyes
6) Modify it a little - change the odd note here or there, change the timing a bit. Make it yours. You can try modifying it to fit situations it wouldn't normally fit (e.g. changing notes to make it minor not major etc.)
7) Rinse and repeat

Personally, I think Pino Palladino's playing with John Mayer is very tasty. But I also think that what makes your playing your own is choosing for yourself what to assimilate.

Edited by Hector

Thanks guys for all the great suggestions. Transcribing it is then! Never consciously done it before, obviously copied and absorbed things over the years but never sat down and studied licks in this sense.

Love Pino's playing, however, not so familiar with his stuff with John Mayer. Any particular recommendations?

Thanks again.

[quote name='JPS' timestamp='1360688938' post='1974748']
Thanks guys for all the great suggestions. Transcribing it is then! Never consciously done it before, obviously copied and absorbed things over the years but never sat down and studied licks in this sense.

Love Pino's playing, however, not so familiar with his stuff with John Mayer. Any particular recommendations?

Thanks again.
[/quote]

The Battle Studies album - "Perfectly Lonely" - Pino masterclass in tasteful bass playing :).

Thanks again.
[/quote]

There's a live DVD ("Where The Light Is" I think...?) that's pretty good. Lots of clips from it on youtube.

• 4 weeks later...

Not the songs you mentioned, but my favourite run is a chromatic build for 'I feel good - James Brown' which goes from A-B-C-Csharp. Works really nice over the D9 (i think) chord in the chorus leading back to the verse. Simple, but works, one of the few times i've felt that my idea has improved on an original funk track.

Thanks again.
[/quote]

Buy "Try!" by The John Mayer Trio

Best album you'll buy all year.

Edited by alstocko

• 1 month later...