Why become a member? ×

Cleaning Sanding Maple Fretboard Stingray Necks

AsterL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24yWr2LRmJY

The video above is Musicman's cleaning guide for unfinished necks. At the beginning of the video it says this technique isn't suitable for instruments with maple necks. Why is that?

The bass I'm trying to clean is a maple neck stingray I want to take off the old wax and reapply it. Would it be bad for my neck to sand it like in the video?

I can't see why you couldn't do the back of the nck like that.

However the fretboard's a different matter. I suspect the dot inlays (shiny black) would get damaged and dependent on how hard you sanded it, it might possibly interfere with the fret joints with the board.

I've found that cleaning with a slightly damp cloth with lemon oil gets patches of really bad gunk off the fretboard followed by thoroughly drying it with tissue paper prior to re-oiling it - or take it to a professional to do along with a set up etc. If you play with dirty hands it's surprising how much is left on the fretboard after playing - especially if you sweat, (which many people do) whilst playing.

Edited by drTStingray