Why become a member? ×

Rosin question

fatback

Why is my Pops so hard? Really only looking into this now, as I'm concluding it's behind some of my arco troubles.

OK, the tub is a couple of years old now, but it was hard from when I bought it, and I read that it should be soft at room temperature. No chance; it's like glass.

When applied it's powdery not sticky, and the end result is a sliding bow unless I press down too much or play staccato. Strings are spiro weichs.

Warming the stuff in the hand doesn't soften it. I have to sit it on a radiator, and that doesn't seem right.

Should just dump it and get some more? Try a different kind?

Thanks for any advice. I really want to progress at this.

Sounds like time to get some new rosin! Sometimes when I have bought from a shop and on-line, the rosin has been sat on a shelf for ages as part of a bulk order from the manufacturers and like yours ....has hardened up!. Pops and Nymans used to put a date of manufacture on their rosins but now have removed it ( ...hmmn! :scratch_one-s_head: ...funny that !!). I have heard of people doing all sorts of things to revive rosin but fresh stock always is perhaps the best starting point and its not expensive stuff given the important job it does !!

FWIW, I have really settled in with Gaston Brohan's Oak Soft Plus http://www.gregorianstrings.com/order.html which for me seems to work equally well on all my bows and strings combinations with great grip and attack ( and seems to suit the British climate temperature variables ). When I have bought rosin [b]direct from this manufacturer[/b] ( :i-m_so_happy: best tip I can give!) its always been good fresh stock and the tone is always there. Usually about £20 delivered from the USA about 3/4 days after ordering on line.

As they would say on the TV and Radio of course 'other suppliers of quality rosins are also available' !

Looks like my pops was old stock then as it's never soft even in very warm surroundings. As I didn't know any better, I've been struggling ever since I got the stuff.

@ ubassman, that tip about buying from the manufacturer makes sense.

No doubt advice on this is where a teacher would have rescued me (if I wasn't living in the sticks). Youtube is just not up to communicating 'stickiness'. :)

As a last resort, before I could get to my local music store to purchase a fresh block, and since I where I live does not have radiators anymore, I have been known to put the block in the microwave oven for about 5 seconds, maybe only a couple more, to soften it. It got me through a couple of days until I could get to the store for a new one.

[quote name='lockpicker1969' timestamp='1360611619' post='1973420']
I[size=4] was thinking my next string purchase may be something i can try to bow with. Is the rosin just applied to the bow ?[/size]
[/quote]

:D Yes ...just the bow! ( you should wipe the strings and wood after every use ).