Why become a member? ×

Hartke 1x15 transporter cab - Would a Faital 15PR400 sound ok as a replacement?

guntherbuffalo

Before you jump in with both feet and go through the ceiling we need to know some dimensions.

1. The internal dimensions of the speaker cabinet.
2. Any cross-braces inside the cabinet.
3. If it has a port or more than one, what is the internal diameter of the port(s) and their internal length.

Give us those figures and we can work it out and give you a yeah, neigh or maybe answer.

Balcro

Edited by Balcro

Cab is 24" x 24" x 15. Has 2 ports at the front but cannot get any info on their size. (I have the speaker not the cab) at a guess I would say the ports have a diametre of about 3-4" each. Cannot tell the length. There are lots of images of the hartke 115tp on the netThe hartke cab ends at 9.30 this morning! Aahh!

Also,the faital driver requires a bigger cut out by 2-3mm from the celestion one I replaced. Worth checking or you will need to get a jig saw and cut a slightly bigger hole.
You will also need to tap out the bolt inserts and cut new mounting holes.

Edited by voxpop

G' morning GB,

I ran the specs through winISD and it comes out just like Voxpop said. You need a box of 90-100 litres. Two ports at 102mm [u]internal[/u] diameter.
The set the internal length of the ports to 19.3cm.

My estimate is that the Hartke Transporter 115 has an internal volume of 100-105 litres, so could be a good fall-back option.

Balcro

[quote name='guntherbuffalo' timestamp='1360067554' post='1964219']
Right. Thanks! So some quite long thin ports would be needed! Can you buy ports or do you just make them? I heard of somebody making ports out of old plastic pipes!
[/quote]

I think there are a number of sources, but this looks perfect.
http://www.falconacoustics.co.uk/cabinet-parts-accessories/bass-reflex-port-tubes-loudspeaker-grille-mounts-dowels-calculation-sheet/bass-reflex-port-tube-reflex-100mm.html

With that 110mm internal diameter set the port length to 22.9cm.

Balcro

[quote name='guntherbuffalo' timestamp='1360071239' post='1964311']
Awesome! Thanks for your help! So can you adjust the port length relative to the diameter? I am just aware that these ports are very long and I am not sure how deep the cab would be yet!
[/quote]

Quote from the web-site [i]"Large Bass Reflex 110 Port. 110mm I.D. with 145mm dia front flange and variable over-sleeve. Length variable 160-280mm. Supplied complete with formula sheet"[/i]

PS. Port length is measured from the rear of the port to the end of the flat part of the tube - ignore angled chamfers or curved trims to such a port.
PPS. Proposed port length is about 9". With 3/4" baffle that means you have about 8-1/4" inside length.

Balcro

Great. Thanks so much for your help. I will go for these ports. One further question about volume of the cab. This will be a combo. So should the entire space including that which the amp chassis fills be 90-100 litres? Or jus the box the speaker is sat in excluding the space the chassis takes up?

Sorry if these are all really stupid questions!! I have just never done this before and want to get it right!! :-)

Thanks again for all your help! :-)

[quote name='guntherbuffalo' timestamp='1360078009' post='1964464']
Great. Thanks so much for your help. I will go for these ports. One further question about volume of the cab. This will be a combo. So should the entire space including that which the amp chassis fills be 90-100 litres? Or jus the box the speaker is sat in excluding the space the chassis takes up?

Sorry if these are all really stupid questions!! I have just never done this before and want to get it right!! :-)

Thanks again for all your help! :-)
[/quote]

The volume refers to just the loudspeaker enclosure. Reducing the volume down to 90 litres will have no noticeable effect on the sound. However you will be able to make small reductions in the length of the port while maintaining the tuning frequency.

When you build the enclosure, account for each port tube taking up 2 litres in volume and the Faital-Pro driver taking up 3.7 litres.

Balcro.

I replaced the stock Celestion in a Trace Elliot 1153 late last year with a Faital 15PR400 4 ohm and it has worked out great; I recently did a backline only gig in a pub to roughly 100 people using a GK800RB and the cab had great presence, admittedly raised to waist height on a table.

From the calculations that Balcro has done it seems like the 1153 isn't too far off in terms of sizing. I arrived at that conclusion from sifting around the net, people were using them in applications as an alternative to a Kappalite 3015. I am no expert in this field I must say though.

I remember somebody flogging an empty 1153 on Basschat for £40 last year.

[quote name='Balcro' timestamp='1360095642' post='1964840']
The volume refers to just the loudspeaker enclosure. Reducing the volume down to 90 litres will have no noticeable effect on the sound. However you will be able to make small reductions in the length of the port while maintaining the tuning frequency.

When you build the enclosure, account for each port tube taking up 2 litres in volume and the Faital-Pro driver taking up 3.7 litres.

Balcro.
[/quote]

Right, so when I make the enclosure If I wanted it to have a 90 litre volume, I should actually make it 97.7 litres, to compensate for the space that the driver (3.7l) and the ports (4l) will take up?

[quote name='The fasting showman' timestamp='1360101248' post='1964953']

I remember somebody flogging an empty 1153 on Basschat for £40 last year.
[/quote]

I think I am going to scrap the idea of finding a separate cab and will try and build my own combo cab, to the specs of the Faital driver. Thanks for the input though.

Paul

[quote name='guntherbuffalo' timestamp='1360102423' post='1964979']
Right, so when I make the enclosure If I wanted it to have a 90 litre volume, I should actually make it 97.7 litres, to compensate for the space that the driver (3.7l) and the ports (4l) will take up?
[/quote]

Correct.

If you want to rough up the cab design just before and as you build it, then check back here and we can confirm the figures etc. Good luck.

Balcro.