Why become a member? ×

Help! G&L SB-2 Japan

chopper

Hi,
I have been offered a G&L SB-2 Tribute Made in Japan as part of a trade. Searching on internet doesn't give much result so my questions are; What is the value of the bass? What is the quality compared to US-made and the current Far East production?
I know it might be a hard question to answer... ;)
I'm totally lost when it comes to G&L. I have never had any but the only one I've tried played like a dream.

Edited by chopper

Difficult one to answer. I've not played a USA one, but my Indonesian tribute SB2 has build quality way better than your average MIM Fender. Plays a treat too. Interweb wisdom is that the tributes sound pretty much identical to the USA versions but that you do get "nicer" (ie. more expensive) woods with the USA basses and a general feeling of better "quality" and attention to detail.
As for the Jap tributes, I'd guess they'd be somewhere inbetween. Also got to remember that the USA tributes in particular do not hold their used value well at all, whereas the tributes do seem to. So don't pay too much. What's the price, age and condition of the bass you are considering ?

I use to lurk around the Dudepit back in the day and the general advice was the Jap Tributes were between the US originals and the Korean Tributes (Now Indonesian) in quality,They had the better US finishes like Sliverflake ect too as well as the normal colours, I nearly bought a Jap Tribute when I had my SB2's.

Go for it I say it will be easy to sell it on and its a great bass the SB2.

Thank you guys!
The bass is manufactured in 1990. There seems to be a few paint chip on the black part of the sunburst, where you put your right arm. I´m not sure what he expect for the bass. When he first suggested the trade I wasn't too interested, but it seems to be a nice bass. The only problem is I´m aiming for a Thunderbird.
What is the neck like on a SB-2?
I really like the design of the bass.

[quote name='chopper' timestamp='1359630387' post='1957749'][B]een offered a G&L SB-2 Tribute Made in Japan.[/quote]
Depends. If it's branded G&L "Tribute" then it's an early example, and quite rare. If it's branded G&L "Premium" then it's a later example, and not so rare. Quality-wise, the early MIJ Tribute line had a few teething troubles, but was soon outputting instruments of typically high Japanese craftsmanship. After G&L moved production of its diffusion line to South Korea the original contract allowed G&L Japan to continue making G&L branded product, and that's when the "Premium" name came into existence. Those instruments offered more options that the MIK Tribute line, including, as mentioned above, more exotic finishes, as well as optional neck profiles, much like G&L USA. The quality is bullet-proof, and, in my opinion, MIJ Premium instruments had better build/finish quality than the comparable BBE era G&L USA instruments. Without knowing what you've been offered it's problematic to advise on trade value, but, when the MIJ Premium line appeared an L2000 MIJ had a sticker price around 80-85% that of an MIA example, when an MIK example was around 40-45% of an MIA example.

• 7 years later...