Why become a member? ×

Orange drop cap

Dave D

It won't do any harm but I doubt very much that you'll hear any difference.

The concensus seems to be that, all else being equal, the actual "type" of capacitor in a tone circuit will not make a difference to what you hear. Provided it's a good quality component and the value is appropriate then just about any capacitor will do the same job.

The orange drop looks nice, though. Pity you can't see it under the pickguard !

Yeah I agree with Bod2 on this, I've tried all sorts, including very expensive paper-in-oil type. honestly, it doesn't make much difference, especially on bass, as long as you use good quality components of the right value the end result will be pretty similar to most peoples ears. Sure you can see the difference on a scope, but lets face it, in the mix of a band it won't make the slightest bit of difference.

However, if you feel like you will play better for knowing you have the absolute best capacitor fro the job in there, I'd go paper in snake oil...

I like to retain a little more mids when I back off the tone knob, and so I went with orange drops mainly because I could get the intermediate value, .033, instead of the more common .047, a lot easier than with other brands of caps. The radial leads are very easy to manipulate and solder well. I'm not sure I notice a tonal difference compared to other kinds of capacitors, disc, mylar, etc., but on my bass it does sound great.