Why become a member? ×

Audition tomorrow! Any tips?

iamapirate

The audition process works in stages, you've already learned the songs so that's stage one. I hope you read the lyrics, it's important to understanding how to play with the singer.

Prepare. Your equipment should all be spot on, fresh batteries, strings checked for damage, etc. Only take spares you absolutely need. Don't rock up with two basses, eight cables and your tour bag full of sh*t. You need to set up quickly so take the bare minimum. At this level your cables and pedals should be very high quality and spares should be unnecessary.

Be friendly, humble and polite, but show confidence. Nervous watery eyes send the wrong message. As has been said, be clean, but don't overdo it on the clothes and perfume, it's not a fashion show til you hit the stage.

Tune your bass before you set off, use a hard case if possible to preserve that tuning, so when you tune up at the audition, they are only quick tiny adjustments.

Play the songs simply and right on the money. Feel, timing, groove, nuanced playing is all WAAAAAAYYYYYY more important than showing the latest Alain Caron lick you learned. A bassist need to be reliable, not a f***ing clown.

If they want a bit of a jam at the beginning, play it cool, if they want one at the end start off cool but show them a few lovely things, but not stupid fast things, play them groovy things, timing displacement, show them you can jam bang in time with the drummer (look at the drummer too, shows them you care about the band's sound and that you pay attention).

FEEL the music and where you think you can fit in with their vision. Play sympathetically with the singer's dynamics.

Dont f*** around at the beginning or end. Do NOT widdle in between songs, talk instead, they need to know you are a nice person to be around.

If you can play well and with the requisite feel and sympathy, that's a start, the rest is about whether they would like to spend two months on a tour bus with you.

Very best of luck mate!

Edited by silddx

Feeling honoured at all the responses! It went really well, they're at the first 'stage' where it's coming in to have a chat and play along to the recordings (as their drummer isn't around all day every day). They'd auditioned a few before me but said that they were just too 'rock' and not enough funk. Apparently I have more funk than the lot of them which is nice! So yes, they'll finish off the album in the next couple of months and get back to be asap. I think the general impression was great, Especially considering I'm 19 and they're all mid 20s and above!

[quote name='Stan_da_man' timestamp='1358529574' post='1940991']
Jeez, it's just a band audition. What next? Wash behind your ears, put on a fresh bra etc...
[/quote]

It's the guy's[i] first[/i] audition. He's 19 years old FFS! He asked for advice and tips. What's so bad about people helping him out? <_<

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Stan_da_man' timestamp='1358529574' post='1940991']
Jeez, it's just a band audition. What next? Wash behind your ears, put on a fresh bra etc...

Turn up on time, play to the best of your ability, if they like you, go for it - if not then stuff 'em!
[/quote]

I wish you much success.

[quote name='iamapirate' timestamp='1358531063' post='1941033']
Feeling honoured at all the responses! It went really well, they're at the first 'stage' where it's coming in to have a chat and play along to the recordings (as their drummer isn't around all day every day). They'd auditioned a few before me but said that they were just too 'rock' and not enough funk. Apparently I have more funk than the lot of them which is nice! So yes, they'll finish off the album in the next couple of months and get back to be asap. I think the general impression was great, Especially considering I'm 19 and they're all mid 20s and above!
[/quote]

Sounds positive man. Nice one!