Why become a member? ×

Fender Japan '62 Re-issue Precision bass (CIJ) £370 + P&P *SOLD *

Bobby K

[b]Hello BC'ers![/b]

[b]Here is my workhorse P bass, reluctantly up for sale. Fender Japan (CIJ) 3 tone sunburst with tort guard.[/b]

[b]Dates to between 2004-2006, but was bought brand new in 2007, from [/b][b]mijfenders.com[/b]

[b]I have toured up and down the country with it ever since, with the Smiths tribute and it has performed admirably.[/b]

[b]A couple of things are forcing the sale. Firstly, it's a very grim looking January work wise; all my usual bread and butter gigs just aren't happening, as a lot of the venues just don't wanna book at the moment. Secondly, having bought a very nice Yamaha fretless from BC'er MoJo last week, the old one-in-one-out policy has kicked in. As there doesn't seem to be much happening at all on the Smiths tribute front this year either, this one has to go, as nice as it is :([/b]

[b]Pretty sure this is the PB-62 model (not the PB-62US) and fairly certain it's made of basswood. It comes in at 8.5 LBS on the scales, for those that are interested.[/b]

[b]It's a really nice looking bass. The maple on the neck and headstock has got a lovely amber tint to it and gives it a bit of an aged look, along with the slightly off white side dots on the edge of the neck. The maple neck has some nice figuring to it too and in certain lighting conditions, almost looks slightly "quilted" or "rippled" - I've tried to capture this in the photos, but it's very hard to photograph.[/b]

[b]As you'd expect from a bass that has been well gigged, it does have its little dings and dongs, but there is nothing terrible. These are mostly on the bottom edge of the bass and I've tried to photograph the worst ones. There are also a couple of tiny dinks on the underside of the headstock, but again, hardly worth mentioning. There is also a slight crack in the plastic on the pickup, just under the A string. Again, nothing to worry about, purely cosmetic and hardly visible (see pic)[/b]

[b]I've had a few different pickups in the bass from time to time, ever the experimenter! I always ended up putting the original back in though, as nothing seemed to sound as good and that's what's in the bass now. (You live and learn!) :blink:[/b]

[b]One of the downsides of changing the pickups in and out was that the pickup lead wires ended up getting significantly shorter, so I put some new cloth covered, vintage style lead wires in the pickup. I also upgraded to one of John's (BC'er kiogon) screw terminal wiring looms, which has CTS pots and a Switchcraft jack socket.[/b]

[b]There isn't a case with the bass, so collection would be preferred, but it can also be shipped at the buyer's expense. I'll just need to get hold of some shipping materials first. Meeting halfway is also an option and within reason, I can deliver personally if it's not too far away and we can come to some arrangement on fuel costs etc. I am based in Liverpool.[/b]

[b]Looking for £370 collected, or can ship at buyer's expense.[/b]

[b]Here are the pics:[/b]

Edited by Bobby K

Cheers Bobby. An extremely honest description in your ad means there were no nasty surprises upon seeing the bass. Condition is much better than I thought I would be. I simply can't convey how happy I am with this.

It was great to meet you and many thanks for the quick Andy Rourke technique lesson!

Hope gigs generally pick up really soon but all the best for the upcoming tour.

My pleasure matey and many thanks for setting up some feedback for me. Much appreciated.

Gave it a spin in rehearsals last night. Really enjoyed playing it and it sounded great.

It means the American Jazz is in serious danger of being completely relegated to subs bench alongside the others.
I might have to seriously think about moving some stuff on.....