Why become a member? ×

Jazz Bass pickguard repair

BetaFunk

I've broken the (white) pickguard on my 1974 Fender Jazz Bass just above the neck pickup. It's one clean break. I don't know whether to just have a go at repairing it myself or take it to someone who (hopefully) knows what they are doing.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1357573548' post='1924680']
Replace it. That's my suggestion. Keep the original somewhere but I doubt it can be invisibly repaired to be honest. :(
[/quote]
I took the pickguard off when in bought the bass 20+ years ago and it hasn't been on since. It's just such a neat break that when you put the two pieces together you can hardly see the join (as Eric Morcambe would say) and looks as though it could be repaired but maybe it's best left alone :)

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1357500838' post='1923681']Any suggestions much appreciated.[/quote]

In days of yore when young lads built Airfix models the model shops used to sell stuff called Plasticard for making scenes with. As the name suggests it's plastic but you could get it in various thicknesses down to that of paper.
IF it's still available, that, cut to shape & some not very permanent glue to make it reversible if need be.

I would try 'plasticweld' (or similar) a liquid glue available from hobby/model shops and applied with a small modellers paint brush.
IMO I would probably join the plate together with masking tape on the front, then paint the glue in carefully from the back. When the glue has taken hold (a minute or two) place a piece of wood sheet on the plate to hold it flat and leave for 24 hours, then peel the tape off the front and you should have an invisble join. HTH's.

heres a link to the stuff; http://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/plastic-weld-polystyrene-cement-glue-plastic-weld-ppc-2.html?utm_source=googleps