Why become a member? ×

P project fret/neck TLC - methodology/products? Advice please!

The Admiral

May I tap into the collective wisdom of the BC community for a bit of a steer please guys?

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good source for a 'how to' re giving the rosewood neck and frets on my P project bass a bit of TLC please?

The frets are well seated and no sharp ends, just need a bit of polishing up : I was thinking of going with fine steel wool, but is there anything better? Also, I'll mask off the neck whilst I do this, and I want to give this a treament with lemon or walnut oil - but is that the best option re oils etc, and would you oil it after you have masked and done the fret work, or prior?

Thanks

A

Edited by The Admiral

Oil and clean up after fret polishing..and masking the wood is a very good idea. Can you post a photo to show the fret condition? Anything that involves levelling (rather than polishing) is more complicated..so its important to evaluate the state of the frets carefully before you decide what approach to take. Almond oil is nice and cheap, but whatever you use..use it very sparingly.

Get hold of some of the plastic 3M fine wool - makes less mess and doesn't find the magnets on your pickups....

The simplest way is a quick wipe with brasso..or similar metal polish or Tcut. Once the tarnish has gone you'll see any major scratches, then oil the fingerboard lightly...leave it for ten mins to soak in, may be do that again if its very dry...then clean up with a dry cloth...and maybe put your old strings back on for a day or two, so the remaining oil residue doesn't kill your fresh strings. This happens more with the "lemon oil" sold for guitars than things like almond oil - I guess there are solvents put into the "lemon"mineral oils that escape?