Why become a member? ×

Ashdown ABM 500 evo 3 buzzing

Guest gazzatriumph

Guest gazzatriumph

Hi I have a new ashdown ABM 500 evo3 head, when I put the valve drive on I get a buzzing noise, it does not affect the sound quality when playing and the amp is quite otherwise, is this normal? cheers Gary

Guest gazzatriumph

[quote name='numpty' timestamp='1356392037' post='1909991']
Email ashdown. They are really helpful. I have an ABM 500 and it always sounds amazing.
[/quote]
Mine sounds great but just this buzzing not loud but not particulary quite, as Hamfist suggests the problem probably lies there if you are not getting the same noise.

I too have an ABM and no buzzing. I assume the buzzing disappears when the drive dial is on min, and gets progressively louder as you dial in more valve? Def sounds like an iffy valve, or perhaps not seated properly in its base.

PS: Merry Christmas :)

Edited by RandomBass

Guest gazzatriumph

hi peoples, thanks for the replys, on the good side the amp i have is a display one which im using until a brand new one arrives in the next couple of weeks, but wanted to find out about this noise before I receive the new one. The buzzing doesnt get louder or disappear when increasing or decreasing the setting on the dial. Merry Xmas and happy New Year

• 2 months later...
Guest gazzatriumph

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1363606454' post='2014536']
Apologies for resurrecting an old-ish thread, but to the OP: did the new ABM resolve the valve buzz issue?

Cheers

Geoff
[/quote]

Yes the new ABM was fine, ashdown said it was a valve problem. Im really pleased with the head which Ive paired with 610 ashdown ABM great sound and power to spare

• 4 years later...

Just found this thread via google, took delivery of a brand new boxed ABM 600 evo IV about an hour ago, unboxed it, plugged it in and it worked fine....until I pressed the valve drive button, which resulted in a loud mains hum. I've asked the shop to order me another!

I've been using an evo II for the last 4 years, it's been used for many gigs in that time without a problem, and I've been using Ashdown gear for at least 12 years without a problem until I decided to buy a brand new one!