Why become a member? ×

Parallel Preamps

Morning - i asked this as a general BC question last week. Some useful responses (thanks everyone) but thought I'd 'ask the experts' too....

I'm currently playing around with some options regarding my gear and I wondered what people's opinions were on a couple of those options.

Basically I'm contemplating running both my Eden Preamp and Ampeg SVP in parallel, creating two outputs to the desk/a two channel poweramp and cabs. I run some effects and I'd add these in to one of the effects loops. The end goal would be a combined bass sound that does clean and dirty, and an effects chain that has an unaffected sound maintaining the lows.
Now my questions really begin with a) is this dumb/more hassle than its worth; and how do I do this?

I know Boss have their LS2 line selector, but do these add noise/reduce gain and tone before it hits my amps?
Are there other ways of splitting the signal? Are there any wireless boxes out there that have twin unbalanced outputs?

Any thoughts guys?

[quote name='coasterbass' post='198555' date='May 14 2008, 10:28 AM']Morning - i asked this as a general BC question last week. Some useful responses (thanks everyone) but thought I'd 'ask the experts' too....

I'm currently playing around with some options regarding my gear and I wondered what people's opinions were on a couple of those options.

Basically I'm contemplating running both my Eden Preamp and Ampeg SVP in parallel, creating two outputs to the desk/a two channel poweramp and cabs. I run some effects and I'd add these in to one of the effects loops. The end goal would be a combined bass sound that does clean and dirty, and an effects chain that has an unaffected sound maintaining the lows.
Now my questions really begin with a) is this dumb/more hassle than its worth; and how do I do this?

I know Boss have their LS2 line selector, but do these add noise/reduce gain and tone before it hits my amps?
Are there other ways of splitting the signal? Are there any wireless boxes out there that have twin unbalanced outputs?

Any thoughts guys?[/quote]

Just use a A/B box with a A+B function in front of the two pre-amps or did I misunderstand the question?

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your response.
I guess I was concerned that an A/B Box might remove some of the gain/tone before it hits the preamps. Is this the case? Also is there a tangible difference between a passive A/B (whirlwind type thing) or an active type (Boss/Monkey fx type)?
Secondly another BC'er commented that I might have problems with the phasing of the DI's, and possibly a minute time lag caused by the fx chain.
Thanks

Nick

[quote name='coasterbass' post='198682' date='May 14 2008, 01:00 PM']Hi Dave,

Thanks for your response.
I guess I was concerned that an A/B Box might remove some of the gain/tone before it hits the preamps. Is this the case? Also is there a tangible difference between a passive A/B (whirlwind type thing) or an active type (Boss/Monkey fx type)?
Secondly another BC'er commented that I might have problems with the phasing of the DI's, and possibly a minute time lag caused by the fx chain.
Thanks

Nick[/quote]

Hi Nick,

A passive A/B will have affect on the tone or level. A well designed active A/B should be good, Andy at Monkey Fx is always good.

Dave