Why become a member? ×

Just a quick 'Hey...'

robbiano

Hi All,

Really like the look of your community and very much look forward to learning more about what everyone is up to and sharing experiences and knowledge.

Been a gigging bass player for nearly 20 years and a six stringer since a kid (apologies, but I'm on the dark side too). Diverse musical background; pop, grunge, metal, dance, folk, etc. Utterly clueless on stuff like Classical and Jazz but there's plenty I like the sound of - in your hands on this one...

Play an Ibanez Jet King loudly through Ashdown amplification (ABM series) and also just got hold of a EUB which is awesome and wish I'd done years ago. Also like playing acoustic guitar and still love my pointy, japanese Ibanez 6's and 7's. Long for a vintage Jazz someday...

Enough of my claptrap B)

Hello and welcome to Basschat Rob,

Claptrap, I love the sound of that! I'm always amazed by the folk who come on here who list metal alongside pop and dance, I must be some kind of snob to stick to Prog, Maybe I'll try out a few one direction numbers with the band this week just to broaden.my horizons?
Its all banter here dude.....enjoy the forum.

[quote name='Leen2112' timestamp='1354629158' post='1888347']
Hello and welcome to Basschat Rob,

Claptrap, I love the sound of that! I'm always amazed by the folk who come on here who list metal alongside pop and dance, I must be some kind of snob to stick to Prog, Maybe I'll try out a few one direction numbers with the band this week just to broaden.my horizons?
Its all banter here dude.....enjoy the forum.
[/quote]

Thanks, for the welcome Leen!

Glad to hear you are up for the One D challenge - good luck selling it to your band ;-)

Hey Robbiano,

Welcome to BC, and yes, feel welcome to share some knowledge.
Guitars are very welcome of course. We just like to pretend we hate them. Me, I have a Peavey Tracer II and will soon buy a classical guitar in addition. Not that I can play them, mind.

As to jazz and classical, ask away.
I got into jazz through Stanley Clarke and Jaco Pastorius, then Return to Forever and Weather Report, then Wayne Shorter, Miles Davis and John Coltrane. Maybe there is something for you in that list.
As for classical, when you hear something you like, you could post about it, and we could maybe point you towards something similar.

I googled the Jet King. What a funky li'l thing that is.

Well, enough of my claptrap!

Enjoy!

best,
bert

Thanks, BassTractor :)

That list looks good - there goes my evening! Familiar with Jaco and a little bit of Stanley Clarke - I'll invest some time here though and get back to you...

Good luck with the guitars too; those Tracers are a nice spec... DiMarzio's as i remember?

Hope you liked the Jet King, it can produce some good sounds when it's poked. I'm always gassing for something else but that lil' Ibanez always feels so good to pick up. Gotta admit to being a bit green of your Little Bastard - REAL nice.

Hi Rob (?),

If you stick to the late sixties and early seventies from that list, it should be both a nice introduction and a deep dive at the same time. Coltrane and Miles Davis (Bitches Brew, In a Silent Way) are both easy and difficult to get into at the same time, and depending on your reference frame. Sit back and be taken by the flow. Then report back and we'll get you sorted out.

Thanks. Yes, I read the Tracers are highly thought of, and used by some guitar heroes. Me, I bought it coz it felt easy to play for a noob like me. Dunno about the DiMarzio's anymore. I do seem to have a vague idea that the different generations of the Tracer came with a few different pickups though.

Yeah, like the Jet King a lot. I have this weak spot for everything peculiar, special, unique and quirky - especially if it's cheap and/or old.

Must admit I love the Bastard, even though it's far away from what I thought I liked. The highs are not totally filtered out, but subdued, making for a charming sound that people on here called "creamy". I concur.

best,
bert

Wow, thanks Bert.

Really liked In a Silent Way as well as Bitches Brew although the feel is so different to say the least. In a Silent Way seems more accessible from the outset but Bitches Brew just keeps hitting me harder. Awesome musicianship but so emotive too. Quite amazing. Couldn't resist listening to Kind of Blue also which again seems different - I think there's a wealth/lifetime of material here to absorb and take on... Coltrane tomorrow now ;-)

Will finish with the reviews now and just get on listening. Thanks v much for the tips - greatly appreciated.

Rob

Hey Rob,

Lovely that you decided to listen to Kind of Blue. Wanted to mention it, but couldn't for the life of me remember what it's called.

Funny how appreciation goes: guy I know couldn't get into Bitches Brew, but saw the light after he'd listened to In a Silent Way. Me I couldn't get into In a Silent Way, but saw the light when I'd heard Bitches Brew.

Anyway, enjoy and ask away, also about classical.

best,
bert