Why become a member? ×

Hohner headless truss rod

tauzero

I've just bought a Hohner B2V which is in very good condition but I suspect has never had any truss rod adjustment. The truss rod adjustment is very stiff (it needs tightening). While I've managed to get it about where I need it, I would like to get it moving more smoothly.

I was thinking of slackening the strings and just undoing the truss rod nut all the way, then oiling up the thread and putting it back together. However, before I do that, I would like to make sure that this is a reasonable approach, and also that I won't cause myself insurmountable problems if I do so.

So, can anyone authoritatively tell me from their own experience whether removing the nut on a headless Hohner is an easily reversible operation that will have no detrimental effect?

In case this is of help to anyone else in the future: I decided to take the plunge. Soaked the nut in penetrating oil and unscrewed it. In order to actually get it out, I had to take the head piece off (not difficult, two screws hold it on and they were quite happy to be undone), then the truss rod nut comes out quite happily and is easily refitted after lubrication.

PS. As a bonus, 16-year-old Minus Zero interpreted "penetrating oil" quite differently to the meaning that the manufacturers ascribe to it. Feeding his misapprehension has provided considerable comic entertainment, although I did finally put him right by telling him that it was for stiff screws.