Why become a member? ×

talkin of strings

KennysFord

hey all.
i have an Ibanez blazer ala burpster.its fitted with flats at the mo'.I'd like to brighten the tone a wee bit but roundwound stainless strings are a bit OTT for my taste on this bass(tried 'em). I fancy trying a set of nickels so i'm hoping some of you will have used of them on a p bass.I dont have a fortune to spend trying out a myriad of different makes so if you have experience of them i'd appreciate your comments/suggestions.
thanks in advance. :)

Pete,

You could try D'addario 1/2 rounds. (round wounds ground off flat) I have tried them and they are almost exactly 1/2 way between flat and round, tonally....

I find 'em a bugger on my fingers tho'

Bob.

[url="http://www.daddario.com/DADProducts.aspx?ID=3&CLASS=ACCA"]http://www.daddario.com/DADProducts.aspx?ID=3&CLASS=ACCA[/url]

Pete,

FYI- D'add arent the only maker to produce 1/2 rounds but they are the only make I've tried.!

they are pretty consistant and I KNOW they are less bright than round, and slightly brighter than flats!

Bob.

Even found you some....

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DAddario-ENR71Half-Round-Bass-String-Set-Reg-Lt-Ga_W0QQitemZ330001432323QQihZ014QQcategoryZ41432QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DAddario-ENR71Half-R...Q2em118Q2el1247[/url]

My suggestion for a Pbass is always (yaawwn) Thomastik flats - yes, I know they're flats again, but really not like anything else out there (odd gauges, very floppy feel, may need some set up changes) but the sound is fantastic. Makes a P a bigger, better, warmer P than you'd think possible.

The nickel round Infeld Superalloys are Thom's version of a Rotosound - very nice, traditional guages and tension, but warmer and "older sounding" than Roto stainless. I'd also recomend Overwater, Manson or even Picato 735's (yes, everyone hates them but as long as you're not looking to sound like Marcus..) They're all around £12 a set, or less.

BB

Cheers BB

i have a set of TI's but i cut the "G" to try them on my MM sterling DOH,no good for the p now.
As the man says-thanks for the info

ps,
i ordered the half flats so cheers for that bob,
£14 shipped from the US.not so bad.
BB
i think ill try a set of TI's in the meantime.thanks again

Edited by kennyrodg

If nickels is what you want, then you might wanna try DR Sunbeams. They're compressed strings so have more mass than the gauge would indicate. To me, it gives more presence. The strings also have a nice subtle growl to them which lasts a long time and is even present unplugged. Bloody expensive (though there's a seller in eBay from the States doing them cheap), but really really good strings.

[quote name='s_u_y_*' post='197913' date='May 13 2008, 01:00 PM']If nickels is what you want, then you might wanna try DR Sunbeams. They're compressed strings so have more mass than the gauge would indicate. To me, it gives more presence. The strings also have a nice subtle growl to them which lasts a long time and is even present unplugged. Bloody expensive (though there's a seller in eBay from the States doing them cheap), but really really good strings.[/quote]
thank you kindly sir,i do like the DR's :)