Why become a member? ×

Fender MIM 5-String Jazz

spinynorman

There seems to be a steady stream of Fender MIM Jazz 5-strings on US eBay going for not much money - one just went for £158. I know the neck's quite wide at the nut, but I like that. Pickups can be changed. I want a cheap passive 5 and I'm finding it hard to think of reasons not to go for one of those.

The new ones here have "Upgrade" in the name. Anyone know what the upgrade actually was and when they started?

Most of the major parts for MIM Fenders are actually made in the US plant so dont be put off if VFM is what you want. The neck is likely to be very similar to a US one but not finished as well. The body may be made of 2-3 pieces of wood rather than 1-2 as a US. The hardware may not be as good but thats all easily changed.

That kind of money sounds like a no brainer to me... Get one and pimp it....! :)

• 2 weeks later...

So I got one. Midnight Wine - seems that's the most common colour - from a pawn shop on eBay. Cost £160 + £45 shipping, and the best bit is Customs let it through without VAT or duty. Came in a week too. A similar one just went for £290 + £25 on UK eBay, so I'm feeling quite happy.

First thing I'll change is the strings, then we'll see.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='205317' date='May 23 2008, 11:23 PM']I used to have one. Lovely feeling bass to play & excellent quality as well. Only complaint I had was the lack of output. Pickups are cheap these days, though :)[/quote]

This is true, and is also the reason I'm hoping to put new ones on mine :huh: