Why become a member? ×

Servisol

Viajero

I've had trouble with the jack on my bass for a while. Last time I took it in to be looked at, the guy returned it to me and said "I just put some Servisol on it, and it seems to have worked".

It was ok, but not for long. I probably need to replace the jack altogether (but it's one of those Neutrik things and I can't solder), but in the meantime I'll get some Servisol. Question is, which one? Which of the various kinds would be best for sorting out a scratchy jack connection?

Try using a cotton bud to remove the dirt and rust after squirting on the servisol.
If it's still a bit dodgy see if you can get at the jack input without disconnecting any wires (unscrew the plate if you need to) give it another clean and carefully bend the contact a little so it will make a firmer connection when the jack is in.

I was wanting to do that, but because it's a Neutrik it's all contained in the unit and I'm wary of taking it apart.

I really should learn how to deal with all this stuff properly; I can't believe I'm still paying people to fix things in my bass after all these years.

+1 No. 10

For example [url="http://www.bluearan.co.uk/menu/index.php?id=SKT701100&browsemode=category"]Bluearan.co.uk[/url]

This is one of these case where "preventetive maintenance" helps. Try to get in the habit of spraying your jack sockets maybe twice a year. It prevents any build of dirt. If you don't want to spray "into" the socket then spray onto a jack plug and insert the wet plug into the socket. Turn it while in the socket and unplug/replug a few times to distribute it evenly.