Why become a member? ×

FT: 1983 Fender Squier Precision bass JV? SOLD PENDING

Bungie

Hi Folks,

I've relisted this following some excellent advice from fellow Bass Chatters who have helped me with the provenence. Anyway, I have for trade a lovely vintage Fender Squier Precision in black with maple neck and white (now cream) guard. The neck is pencil dated 8-6-83 with EX1 stamped (export). Bass Chat gurus advise me that the neck and tuners (reverse Klusons) are most certainly JV, but the body is less certain. There is no serial number on the neck plate (which in itself is not unusual for early Squiers. Their serial numbering regime is well documented as being sporadic), but the routing is not typical JV and it has plastic coated wires rather than cloth coated. It does however, have the green capacitor fitted, typical of JV's. Either way the body and hardware are still obviously vintage with all that ageing that you only really get through 30 years of age!

As a package, the bass feels really nice quality (the necks are legendary) and is in very good condition for its age. No fretwear and just the right amount of little dinks comensurate with its age. It obviously hasn't been a regular players bass. I acquired it recently through a local contact who advises that he inherited it from an old guy who had owned it for most of its life and not played it a great deal. When I got it the action was awful and it was obvious it hadn't been played for ages. I gave it a really good set up and it is now playing superbly with a nice low action and good sustain across the whole fretboard. There are no dead spots and there is plenty of truss rod adjustment. All the electrics work as they should, with no crackling and the pup is loud and typically Precision punchy.

I'm not a bassist who is emotionally attached to vintage guitars and bought this thinking I might have acquired a 'closet classic', but given the potential uncertainty of the body I would not want to advertise this as a full JV Squier. I'm now looking to trade it on, ideally with an upgrade (cash from me) and, given the previous, would value this bass at £300 to 350. It's a lovely vintage Japanese bass.

Sadly, for some reason, the pics I have of the bass in bits (neck, body cavity etc) wont upload to the forum and I don't want to take it apart again to take some more, so I have posted a link to the current advert I have on Ebay (I'm not sure whether this is legal on the Forum?). Either way I would prefer to trade this with a Bass Chatter than sell it on Evil Bay. Alternatively, email me on [email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email] and I'll email you the full set of pics I have.

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-Squire-Precision-bass-1983-MIJ-JV-/160927473769?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2578066069"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2578066069[/url]

Trades? Well I'm prepared to listen to anything really, value £400 to £600 ish. Try me.

Many thanks, and a particular thanks to Ash who gave me some really valuable advice on this bass.

Cheers, Bungie (Neil)

Edited by Bungie