Why become a member? ×

FT: Fender Squier Precision 1983 JV or SQ?

Bungie

Hi Folks,

I recently acquired this little beauty: It's a 1983 Squier Precision 'Made in Japan' Black with maple board and is in great condition with very little use, but all the usual lovely ageing, cream pick guard subtle tarnishing etc. But here's the thing, the neck has the pencil date on 8/6/83 but there is no serial number on the neck plate. Research on '21 Frets' etc suggests that this isn't unusual for that era and that only the neck date can be truly relied on to date such vintage instruments. It has the green capacitor fitted commensurate with a JV and all the usual traits of that era: reverse elephant ear tuners, strap button on back of head stock etc. As mentioned, this bass is in great nick for its age with just a few little dings here and there and no fret wear. As was typical of the early Jap Squires, the build quality is great. I suspect the body is alder as it is very light (around 8lbs tops).

Anyway, having got hold of this beast it quickly dawnd on me that I am not one of those basists emotionally attached to vintage instruments and consequently, I'm looking to trade (with appropriate adjustment) for something a little newer and more mainstream - USA Precision, Musicman Stingray or Bongo or possible a German Corvette. What have you got? PM me.

[b]Update: The Forum's resident JV guru, Ash, has had a look at the pics of this bass and tells me that while the neck and neck hardware appear to be original JV the body is probably not. That obviouly effects my initial speculation on value below, but it's till a lovely Jap bass and I remain open to trade offers, more in the region of £300 to £350 than £500 plus! [/b]

I'm based near York, but willing to travel within reason. And now for the tricky bit, trying to upload some photos!

Struggling with uploading photos at the moment folks, if you need snaps (which include neck and electrics) email me on [email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email]

Cheers,

Neil

Edited by Bungie