Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

neck treatment

HADGE

i have just bought a rickenbacker 4003 i also have a precision and a musicman i always polish them every week but was wondering whats the best treatment for the necks iv heard that many different things please help.

Edited by HADGE

If the neck is unfinished then they may require a little natural oil every now and again. However if you play an unfinished neck regularly you should never (well hardly ever) need to re-oil. If the neck has a glossy finish then just wipe it with a damp cloth or buff with swirl remover like you get from halfords and clean with lighter fluid..

Generally back of the neck is finished, and fingerboard might not be, typically rosewood broads are unfinished, and depending on conditions might need something other that a clean off now and again. I like oiled back of necks in theory, sometimes an oil finish needs topping up with the appropriate oil (and that depends what it was done with to start with).

Likely scenario: Rickenbacker is lacquered all over, so treat front and back the same.

Fender Precision is lacquered all voer if maple board, or just on the back if rosewood. If the rosewood seems dry, might need feeding, lemon oil by default, although there are a million potions and opinions.

Musicman I heard can have oiled back necks, think its gunstock oil. But not all of them, if its different to the precision's finish, might be that.

Edited by Mr. Foxen