Why become a member? ×

Sterling Sub or VM Squier Jazz Fretless ?

JohnFitzgerald

Which one to buy.

Went for a Saturday morning soiree into Glasgow yesterday.
The plan was simple.

Guitarguitar to try out the Squier Jazz fretless which they had in stock and also try out the Mex standard Jazz fretless.

The mex had slightly punchier pickups but had a slight neck discrepancy up arounf the 15th 'fret' where the G string choked as it passed over the line. Close, but not close enough.

The Squier was pretty equal in terms of quality but was a truss rod adjustment away from being a player.

Let's go round to Merchant City Music.

Pretty identical Squier Jazz Fretless, but this one had actually been set up.
Instant back pickup, tone rolled off Jaco vibe. It's why I'd buy one.

I pretty much committed on the spot that this was "the one". Pending confirmation from The Management of course.

Just at that point my mate unhelpfully pointed out a Sterling Sub which I hadn't clocked.
Jacket straight off, I had to try it as I've always wanted to see for myself if they really can do the Stingray tone.

Bugger me, what a sound. Instant Stingray.
Lovely to play, bright punchy sound with super mids and as much bottom end as I'll ever need.

So what do you do when you go looking for something, find it, but also fall in love with something else too.

I suspect I know what some of you will say and I'm currently trying to move enough stuff that I can make this happen bit it looks unlikely. I can make one happen though, so which ?