Why become a member? ×

hartke ha 2500 help

yankeedoodle

[quote name='yankeedoodle' timestamp='1352564669' post='1864688']
another question

once above 3A, does it matter how much higher it is?

I have a few 10a leads.are these still suitable?

thanks
[/quote]

AFAIK they should be fine. The best solution as I understand it is to have the right fuse in the amp, a power cable rated higher than the maximum current needed, and a suitable fuse in the plug - That should not be too far above the max current drawn either - eg. the mb fusion head I have has a 10A circuit rating - it came with a 16A rated moulded plug with fuse for german style sockets, I've replaced it with a 13A plug for UK style sockets with no problems.

The ha2500 manual here:
[url="http://www.samsontech.com/hartke/products/amplifiers/ha-series-amplifiers/ha2500/"]http://www.samsontec...lifiers/ha2500/[/url]

bottom of page 16 confirms the 2.5A choice for UK mains voltage. But that's the internal fuse . . .

On page 6 it says: "[i]1. Fuse sled - This contains a fuse holder and shows the currently selected
voltage rating for your Model 2500. Make sure the voltage rating is correctly
set before powering up the amplifier! Fuse ratings are 10 amp for 115 vac and
6.2 amp for 230 vac. For information on how to change the voltage rating,
see Appendix B on page 14[/i]."

Perhaps there is not just a simple jumper mechanism (as on page 16)?
I should think even if it's 6.2 or 2.5 Amps, a 10A fuse with similarly rated plug and cable should work. The fuse in the amp would fail before the one in the plug in the event of a surge as I understand it. I'm not an expert though.

Edited by PlungerModerno

[quote name='yankeedoodle' timestamp='1352594201' post='1865080']
thanks for that reply, thats helpful

just found an online site that sells new power leads for just a few ££s

if anyone can tell me the exact rating of the cable I'd be as well to buy one thats an exact match for the original
[/quote]

Does it matter? surely overspec'ing the cable will be fine? All that you'll have is a slightly heavier gauge cable that'll likely be more rugged than a much lighter one. GK shipped a 16A power cable with my head - it's probably the standard they chose for that kind of plug - and they use it on all their amps LOL!
I found this: http://www.esc.org.uk/public/home-electrics/plug-fuses/
It seems to be that all devices come with 13A fuses apart from low power devices that have 3A. The cable will be rated to a higher current (as it should, the fuse is supposed to fail once the current reaches the rating, while the cable should remain intact unless a far higher current flows - if it wasn't it would heat up a lot and become soft when in use near the limit!!! Some do, but only when bunched together).

As long as the fuse in the amp is correct, any heavy duty domestic power supply cable (like a PC power cable) should work. I've always assumed as much with no problems. I use surge protectors on valuable equipment though.