Why become a member? ×

Ampeg SVT AV, worth changing for Aguilar DB751

jembullo

Hi Folks
I currently own an Ampeg SVT AV valve head but really fancy swapping for something like the Aguilar DB751 head on the grounds it seems to have a nice warm sound but half the weight of the SVT , wondered if anyone had any opinions or experience with the Aggy head or both. Much appreciated. Jem

Once you are wanting a different sound to the Ampeg, that opens the field right up. Being light and price are the limiting factors. I generally go for get an amp that does the sound and weight you want, and add cabs until loud enough, because can get lightweight loud cabs now. Maybe a 100w valve head will be enough and those are bunches lighter than 2 or 300w ones.

Just personally, from side by siding my Mesa with an Aguilar DB750, they're completely different beasts. I realise this isn't exactly like for like but I found while it was a lovely amp, it just didn't have the same warmth as the all tube head.

That said, loads of people who I used to see use ampeg habitually seem to have made the shift to aguilar, so what would I know? :P