Why become a member? ×

Putting a band together - anyone else finding it difficult lately?

Marvin

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1352139852' post='1859274']

Went to a few open mics recently, that wasn't very productive, like I've said, lots of singer songwriters who want to stay doing solo stuff.
[/quote]

The reason they don't want to get involved with other muso's is so they don't get all the hassle and band politics that comes along with other musicians .
They get to play the type of music they enjoy playing .
They get to keep all the gig money .
They never get let down by unreliable drummers / bassists .

If my singing was better , I would consider going down that route myself.

When I was living in North Devon ( Barnstaple ) about 15 years ago , I never struggled to get into a band , back then it was considered the Seattle of England and their were loads of Grunge bands around . The surfy places of Croyde and Woolies also meant a few great reggae bands were knocking around , there was a very diverse music scene when I lived there.

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1352060898' post='1858354']
Add to that 'learn the words'!!!
Our singer still has the words on a bit of paper which he gets out of his pocket and looks at in not so subtle manner! :-0
[/quote]

Our singer has them on his laptop which he puts on a stand. Hanging from the laptop is a thing with the band's logo on it. Not as good as memorising words, but done the way it is, it doesn't look too bad, and we can look over his shoulder to find out whether there's another verse coming up, or the middle, or a guitar solo ...

[quote name='martin8708' timestamp='1352141836' post='1859310']
The reason they don't want to get involved with other muso's is so they don't get all the hassle and band politics that comes along with other musicians .
They get to play the type of music they enjoy playing .
They get to keep all the gig money .
They never get let down by unreliable drummers / bassists .

If my singing was better , I would consider going down that route myself.

When I was living in North Devon ( Barnstaple ) about 15 years ago , I never struggled to get into a band , back then it was considered the Seattle of England and their were loads of Grunge bands around . The surfy places of Croyde and Woolies also meant a few great reggae bands were knocking around , there was a very diverse music scene when I lived there.
[/quote]

Halcyon days...

15-20 years ago North Devon was brimming with bands and had decent places to play. The Anchor in Westward Ho!, the Exeter Inn in Barnstaple. Like you say loads of grunge bands...then Britpop came along and it all disappeared :(