Why become a member? ×

selmer pa 100/4

umph

thinking of getting one of these was wondering if it'd be any good on bass? just looking for something that would be loud and have that valve warmth. also the seller says the speaker impedences are 3.75, 7.5 and 15ohms this seems a bit wierd would it be fine to use a 4ohm cab with it on the 3.75 ohm setting and i guess using 2 4 ohm cabs would be out of the question?

[quote name='umph' post='194921' date='May 8 2008, 07:23 PM']thinking of getting one of these was wondering if it'd be any good on bass? just looking for something that would be loud and have that valve warmth. also the seller says the speaker impedences are 3.75, 7.5 and 15ohms this seems a bit wierd would it be fine to use a 4ohm cab with it on the 3.75 ohm setting and i guess using 2 4 ohm cabs would be out of the question?[/quote]

That's not weird at all for equipment of that age. It was made at a time when the standard speaker impedance was 15-ohms and 1, 2 or 4 of them gives you those numbers.

Because of the way valve amps work the speaker impedance has a direct effect on the circuitry of the output stage and it is important that the speakers match the tranformer tap as near as possible. A 4-ohm cab will work fine on the 3.75-ohm tap, likewise an 8-ohm will work with the 7.5-ohm. 2.4-ohms is a no-no.

Unlike solid-state amps however a valve amp will deliver its full output into whatever speakers you have connected as long as the output transformer tap is set correctly.

[quote name='obbm' post='194943' date='May 8 2008, 07:56 PM']That's not weird at all for equipment of that age. It was made at a time when the standard speaker impedance was 15-ohms and 1, 2 or 4 of them gives you those numbers.

Because of the way valve amps work the speaker impedance has a direct effect on the circuitry of the output stage and it is important that the speakers match the tranformer tap as near as possible. A 4-ohm cab will work fine on the 3.75-ohm tap, likewise an 8-ohm will work with the 7.5-ohm. 2.4-ohms is a no-no.

Unlike solid-state amps however a valve amp will deliver its full output into whatever speakers you have connected as long as the output transformer tap is set correctly.[/quote]
ahh thanks for the info and i guess i should invest in a decent speaker lead to to play it safe?