Why become a member? ×

Any love for EMGs?

JapanAxe

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1353340008' post='1873841']

Er...You know that sound is a subjective matter don't you? :D
[/quote]

Absolutely, but the subjective opinion of a great bassist is not to be taken lightly like the subjective opinion of a charlatan who thinks technique is irrelevant.

Edited by Inti

[quote name='Inti' timestamp='1353652194' post='1876950']
Absolutely, but the subjective opinion of a great bassist is not to be taken lightly like the subjective opinion of a charlatan who thinks technique is irrelevant.
[/quote]

Er.... excuse me? :huh:

Well. Just got my Geddy back from the Bass Doc yesterday and used it at rehearsal last night.

It now runs at 18V following the installation of a rear-routed double battery compartment. BD did his usual immaculate job of course!

So I've reduced the future value of my bass. Who cares? It's a keeper anyway. The key question is has it made any difference to the sound?

Not really.

To qualify that comment, I would say that it was a low volume rehearsal and I was playing through my 12 watt Marshall practice combo which is over 20 years old. I also experienced a bit of a volume-drop problem that seems to be related to a bit of a dirty gain pot... BUT (and that's a big but) I was rather disappointed when I failed to notice any increase in presence, tone, clarity, crispness, whatever... My ears are not at their best due to a hard-to-shake-off head cold, but still.

So overall I would say that the doubling of the voltage has made little if any difference to the tone of the EMG pickups.

Full volume rehearsal on saturday though, so if there [i]is[/i] any difference, it should be revealed by the combination of my Hartke and BFB!

Can't help feeling slightly disappointed though. :(

[quote name='kurosawa' timestamp='1353365242' post='1874367']
They sound good. But many pickups sound good to their players.
They're dead quiet. Not unique, but it can spoil you (and your sound man).
When it rains, you won't get shocked if you kiss a mic while holding the strings.
That last can be all-important, especially in a 220v country.[/quote]
+1