Why become a member? ×

finger collapse in thumb position

MandShef

Hey all, just want to pick your brains again! I am getting frustrated with how my fingers (particularly 1st & 2nd) collapse when I'm playing in thumb position (i.e. [size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][color=#000000]they kind of buckle at the first joint just above the finger nail). I can keep them curved for only a short time before they collapse. I also struggle to get a decent vibrato going. Is this just a strength issue? Does it even matter?! I notice my fingers also do this a bit when I'm playing the piano, so I'm wondering whether I've just got slightly hyper-mobile joints or something. The person I'm learning with seems to think it's not a major issue, but I'd like to make sure my technique is as good as it can be. Ta for any tips/info you can offer.[/color][/font][/size]

Collapsed fingers are not a massive issue! However, if it is bugging you... then practice what ever you're practticing slowly and think about every motion you are doing. build up strength. Don't vib until you've sorted one of the issues. Are you bowing? or pizz? Tarlton book will give you SOLID technique... I rant and rave about the book... because its the best imho... goodluck!

Thanks for taking the time to answer. It's good to know it's not a major problem if I can't resolve it, it just bugs me in case it's bad for my finger joints. I guess with every other problem I've encountered I find slow practice helps, so I'll give it a go with this too. In answer to your question I'm using a bow (classical player). What's the full title of the book you recommend - I can't find anything under double bass & tarlton on amazon?

Jake is right, by lifting your arm will allow your fingers to naturally become "un collapsed". Also pick up Duncan McTier's Daily exercises (spartan press)... These are rigorously demanding but highly desired from a technical point...
with your tutors help - you'll see drastic changes in your playing! they are amazing... imo... I do love these books alot! and they all are inexpensive! = )
all under £30... :P

Another vid - enjoy...

http://youtu.be/5x-_EiW2BZs?t=3m59s

My problem with thumb position is that I use the side of my thumb for my job so it's always a bit on the tender side and I can't apply pressure without pain. My bass tutor and I are trying to evolve a hybrid position using less of the side.

Steve

PS I have both of the Tarlton books and they are superb

Edited by oggiesnr

• 3 weeks later...