Why become a member? ×

Tension, truss rod, on my fretless.

Jase

Ello,

Normally I'm ok-ish with setting up and getting the right tension and action that suits my playing for fretless BUT today I thought about sorting my CIJ 62........ Now, could some one explain how in the world I've got my desired tension, action and sustain etc BUT A SEMI TONE BELOW :huh: and how I could remedy it...is it a matter of a truss rod adjustment again, I've tried tuning to concert pitch and lowering the action but it doesn't play as well, the notes choke etc, I'd be grateful for any advice :)

Cheers
Jase.

[quote name='Jase' post='193845' date='May 7 2008, 01:36 PM']Ello,

Normally I'm ok-ish with setting up and getting the right tension and action that suits my playing for fretless BUT today I thought about sorting my CIJ 62........ Now, could some one explain how in the world I've got my desired tension, action and sustain etc BUT A SEMI TONE BELOW :huh: and how I could remedy it...is it a matter of a truss rod adjustment again, I've tried tuning to concert pitch and lowering the action but it doesn't play as well, the notes choke etc, I'd be grateful for any advice :)

Cheers
Jase.[/quote]

A semi tone below would have less tension on the neck, therefore the neck would be straighter. Concert pitch would pull the neck forward more, so to compensate you could try slightly tightening the truss rod adjuster to straighten the neck a touch? A quarter turn, no more, leave it to settle and perhaps push the neck back a bit while you do it to help it move. See how it is, then adjust as necessary.