Why become a member? ×

Great deal on strings !!

sifi2112

Just received a package from US .. was hoping to avoid import duty & VAT ... and did !! Description 'music accessory' with a value of $20.
Inside was the following -

- 2 sets DR Strings Fat Beams Medium Bass strings
- 2 sets D'Addario EPS165 ProSteels Bass strings
- 2 sets D'Addario EXL165 Electric Bass strings
- 2 sets D'Addario ESXL170 Double Ball End Bass strings
- 2 sets Rotosound RS55LD Electric Bass strings
- 1 set Rotosound RS77LD Monel Flatwound Electric Bass strings

I also wrote the following to them, didn't get a reply but thought I'd chance it anyway ...

'have added an extra set but reckon this wont affect the shipping cost of $21 .. will shortly use 'buy it now' & await an invoice as stated.
I realize I might have to pay import duty & UK vat but ask (if possible) if you could mark the package as 'gift or spare part' & possibly list the value lower ? (guitarpartsresource recently did this on a badass bridge for me & I paid nothing extra !) .. if I get away with it I'll post on basschat.co.uk forum !
If however this is against your policy .. I understand.'

Invoice $232.94
shipping $21 (combined)
Total $253.94 £129 !!!!

Hope Mr. Taxman's not a bass player on this forum !! Can't guarantee you'll get away with it but I calculated that even if you don't they're still cheaper than UK prices but I'm sure some of you know places to get em too !

[url="http://stores.ebay.co.uk/MyMusicStuff"]http://stores.ebay.co.uk/MyMusicStuff[/url]

Si

ive looked extensivly into import because I was going to import a stringray from canada which has the same rules on import as the US.
he was going to say it costs £300 so id only pay 3.2% + 17.5% on total (shipping+product) which would have worked out ok, but obviously tax evasion is illegal.
I also looked into the "gift" route, which used to work, although now-a-days according to people who work in that area of business on the tinternet forums, marking it as a gift doesnt mean it will bypass the checking for it. it used to but not anymore. All things posted from outside the EU to UK will go down a process and be cherry picked to make sure tax is paid, according to the internet its about 80% depending on their workload. I dont know how correct this is or how up to date it is, but this is what ive found.

Although saying this, I just ordered a mitey mite neck from the states and that got through fine without any jiggling about with how much it costs or marking it as a gift.

My advice to you...

...Be Lucky :)

I think Customs are wise to most of the tricks by now, if anyone's not going to let stuff sneak by it's the taxman!

But I also think there's so much comes into the country now that all they can do is a spot check irrespective of what's marked on the package, so it's pot luck whether you get asked to pay the duty or not. For example, I ordered a plexi pickguard for my Ric from the States and I had to pay the duty. But it didn't fit so I returned it and the replacement came through without the duty hit (just as well, I'd have hated to pay twice!) I also just got a fuzz pedal which was clearly marked as a Guitar Effect Pedal and it slipped by unchecked.

It's usually worth a gamble, in my case the fuzz pedal would've cost the same as the UK price if I'd had to pay the duty but it lucky for me it worked out cheaper. I wouldn't have minded paying the duty if needs be 'cos I think in the long run it's odds on you'll still save if you a) buy enough stuff and :) the US price is substantially cheaper to put the odds in your favour.