Why become a member? ×

Please remove post thanks.

jimbobothy

Hi folks,

Being clever I thought I'd order a new graptech jazz bass nut to replace the one on my Geddy Lee jazz. Reason being is the string spacing on the Geddy nut is wider than my two other jazzes (a bitsa with a Marcus Miller neck and a CIJ '62 RI fretless). However when the new nut arrived it had the same spacing as the Geddy, clever boy hey!

Just wondering if anyone knows of any replacement nuts that you can purchase with pre-cut slots the same as on the Marcus Miller basses (and my fretless!). The info I have found so far doesn't go into the individual string spacing, just over dimensions.

Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated B)

Edited by jimbobothy

This page from Graphtec lists the overall slot spacing (high string to low string) under each nut type - http://www.graphtech.com/products.html?SubCategoryID=58

It's shown as 'E to E' (6 string guitar default) but they really mean high to low for bass nuts. Measure the overall slot spacing on your Marcus and CIJ (centre of G nut slot to centre of E nut slot) and compare it with this page to see if there's one here that might be a closer match.

Good tip, although the narrowest one is the 'Jazz Bass' nut - which is probably the one you got. I had this trouble with a tusq nut I bought, it was too wide for my skinny neck. I ended up getting a blank and filing the slots in myself - which is not a task I would care to repeat! I'm not sure what Fender were doing in the 70s but it clearly wasn't measuring stuff!