Why become a member? ×

In ear monitor?

oggiesnr

So I've spent today at the Freaks in the Peaks scratch border morris event and great fun it was.

However at one point the musician quotiant got quite high, 3 accordions, 5 melodeons, 4 fiddles, couple of guitars/banjoes and 3 percussion, and whilst people assured me they could hear the bass I couldn't! Now public amplification is a no no and as yet I do not have a pickup on the bass but I was wondering about a pickup, small battery amp and an earpiece. Ideally the pickup would be one that I could later use for amplified gigs.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Steve

PS the no public amplifier constraint is for two reasons, one is that there are public performance licence issues and the second is the nature of morris events, you don't stay in one place but tend to move around (half a mile between venues is possible) and I have to carry the stuff!

I suppose any pickup would work, you'd need a headphone amp to carry around though. There are a number of good pickups out there for most budgets. If you go this route, it might be an idea to get some kind of mic to pick up the rest of the group/crowd so you can hear what is going on.

• 2 weeks later...