Why become a member? ×

wedge monitors

fonzoooroo

[b]The background story first:[/b]

So... I've just joined a band that play both kinds of music - country [i]and[/i] western.

It's the first time I've needed to amplify a double bass (I've always played EUB except in classical context)

So I've got hold of an old Fishman, chopped 1 of the transducers off (to avoid the old phase cancellation issue) and popped a clicky under the fingerboard... I've terminated in a stereo socket, just the same way I do on my EUBs.

For the EUB, I use this setup:
I break out to 2x mono at the amp, so I can preamp the bass and click separately before POD XT, big compressor, power amp and Eden 4x10"

Now, for the DB I've plugged in every bit of kit I own, and THE BEST sound is from an old Carlsbro Marlin 1042. ... And there're 2 spare inputs, so I can have a P bass on stage for the eagles tunes!

Snag is, it's only 100W. So...

I thought why not run the Carlsbro into a wedge monitor, which I could raise up near me, then take a line out from the Carlsbro into the power amp/4x10".

That'll mean I can shift the big cab further away, and should help no end with the feedback issues I anticipate.

[b]The problem:[/b]

This is that my wedge monitors were all cheapies 30 or 40 years ago... OK to hear the words with vocals in on a pub gig, but not ideal for double bass...

So is anyone able to recommend a wedge monitor to me?

Hmmm, so you're going to power the carlsbro and a monitor with 100w amp? good luck ;)

If I were you (assuming theres no line out effects loop or tuner output on the carlsbro) I'd either run through a powered monitor and take the line out to the carlsbro or split the signal or upgrade the amp. If the amps not loud enough on it's own it's unlikely to be loud enough by adding a speaker.

srm150s have a straight line out....

having a similar problem to the OP, but I'm using an EUB so not the same amplifying nitemare's. Until I sort my rig out (twin channel bass amp or some other solution) I'm DI'ing the upright and putting it through the monitior's as my only way of hearing it, not ideal, we use yamaha monitors and they are very good for vocals but don't really cut it for the upright, unless you use a very high quality monitor ( my last band used peavey hi sis 2's as monotors, they were superb) I think your going to struggle.

Nope - the carlsbro IS an amp - one of those old 4 input PA head efforts from the 70s!

I'll be running my eden 4x10 cab off my 1000W PA amp, away from the bass to avoid feedback. I need the Carlsbro to be powering [i]something[/i], and thought a wedge'd be ideal.

May be easier to build a cab.

Does it have to be a wedge? There are lots of little lightweight cabs available that work really well for double bass - EA Wizzy or Barefaced Midget for example. If you go for something with high sensitivity, you'll get the most out of your 100w.

If you're serious about building something, I really recommend either a BFM Omni 10.5 / Jack or one of the little Fearful cabs.