Why become a member? ×

Anybody had any experience with DK Management (musician agency)

bassfunk

Hi Guys

I came across these guys yesterday: [url="http://www.dkmanagement.co.uk/"]http://www.dkmanagement.co.uk/[/url]

It appears they get musicians together, get them to form a band and get them out gigging, they do all of the organising, you get paid a set fee and travel expenses.

Has anybody had any experience with them or similar? I know opinions are going to be divided on stuff like this. And before anybody says just go out there and do it yourself I already play in and manage a function band and we do around 20 gigs a year. But I'd like more :-)

Thanks

Pete

Edited by bassfunk

One of the guitards in a band I play with knows these people. Basically I think they get bookings for gigs and put together a band out of their roster of local musicians that are available for the night. I think its a good thing if you're looking to get some gigs and get your face known with other local musicians. I think they also are agents for complete bands rather than ones put together for the night.

He stopped doing gigs with them as he was getting sparodic bookings and would often have to learn a whole set in a week. They provide a PA and a van but these are rented and he got fed up of having to do the PA because nobody else knew how to. I've heard that others are more regularly booked and do OK from it. I guess it depends on what you're looking for but I get the impression they are high pressure gigs because the band have never played together and don't know the material. good grounding for session work though I suppose...

A step on from typical band leaders pulling in a band to fill a date.

I must say, I don't like the idea of someone who takes the booking being nowhere near the date if things don't go right...and presumably it isn't money on the night..??

So many things wrong with this arrangement potentially... IIUIC..??

Thanks for the replies.

I'm approaching this with a healthy amount of scepticism. But I've filled the form in and see how it goes, what have a got to lose? I either get some gigs and more experience/contacts and hopefully have some fun, or I don't.

I'll update this if anything happens.