Why become a member? ×

For Once In My Life - James Jamerson Analysed

rw3cja

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Hello,[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]I posted on here a few months ago to let you all know about some work that I have been doing over the last year. For those of you who missed it, I have been learning and analysing James Jamerson lines as part of my degree.[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]All of my work is here - [/font][/color][url="http://jamersonanalysed.blogspot.co.uk/"]http://jamersonanalysed.blogspot.co.uk/[/url]

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Today, I uploaded my cover and analysis of Jamerson's line on Stevie Wonder's 1968 hit 'For Once In My Life'.[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]I hope you all enjoy it.[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]As always, any feedback is greatly appreciated. [/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Chris.[/font][/color]

Edited by rw3cja

Hello Chris, I probably shouldn't be doing this (well I definitely shouldn't be doing it on work time!) but you did ask for feedback. You have done a great job but I think some of your analysis is a bit mathematical and you could let your ears do the work, giving you IMHO a more useful picture of the harmony. To be specific, "For Once in my Life" bar 2, I would have said that the Eb is the passing note and the C# creates a surround (chromatic notes either side of the target note). On the 3rd beat of that bar, the D to A perfect fourth strongly indicates a D chord. Jamerson has reharmonised (he does this a lot) and used a D rather than the indicated F#dim. This helps set up the repeating D/G pattern that is coming and is a more natural harmony anyway. That's how I hear it and that is my "map" that I use to try to get the right feel when playing this. But that's just my interpretation and there is certainly nothing wrong with what you have done.