Why become a member? ×

Problem with strings

col67

I have a Peavey Grind bass long scale 24 frets
I purchased a set of D'addario EXL170 Long scale strings a few month back. All strings were fine apart from the E string which was short.
By Short I mean where the winding reduced in diameter this was in the middle of the first fret rather than beyond the nut as the other strings.

I took the strings back to the store and replaced with another set. Again D'addario but in a lighter gauge.
I had exactly the same problem. (The store only had D'addrio strings or I would have chose another brand)

So for the past few months I have been playing with a set of new strings and my old E string still in place.
Well the old E string gave up the ghost last night. Fortunately at a rehearsal. so i need a new set again.

First question is have the Daddario strings been faulty?
Second question what strings can i buy confident in the knowledge that when they arrive they will all fit my bass?

Cheers

I'd take the bass into the shop and get the strings out there and then in there and ask the guy behind the counter the problem ... never heard of this before - unless some shorter scale strings have got mixed up - can't see it happening twice though surely.

Just bought some Ernie Ball hybrids with no problem.

This is beginning to ring the odd bell. See also the current thread about EXL Reds in "Miscellaneous Equipment & Accessories".

If I remember correctly, with d'Addario you have to buy the [u]extra long scale[/u] strings to work on many basses. That should prevent the taper section from resting on the nut. Their scale measurements aren't in line many other manufacturers. Check with their web-site.

Balcro.

• 1 month later...

I had a problem with D'Addario ETB92 Nylon Tapewound strings silk extending to low into the nut slot on a Fender Am. Std. I sent off an e-mail to them about it. They e-mailed me back in about 20 minutes. They asked for the length of the string from the ball end to where the string first contacts the nut. They remedied the issue in a very short time. They stand behind their strings.