Why become a member? ×

Lace Bass Bars - Anyone tried them?

brensabre79

Hi everyone, just thinking about getting one of [url="http://www.lacemusic.eu/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=90&category_id=33&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=64"]these[/url] for my semi-acoustic bass.

Wondering if anyone has tried them...?

Also wondering if I can get them in the UK!

Cheers
Bren

I used to own a Lace Helix with the original Alumitone bass pickups on it. Despite all the things that were said about them I found the output very low if you weren't directly driving an amp input and consequently it got little use and I sold it earlier this year.

The main part of the pickup could probably be made flat. However there is a secondary small coil underneath which makes it humbucking.

Cheers BigRedX, I think I'll go the old Gibson style route on this one then. I thought they looked cool, especially with the hipshot grip knobs to match, but I was dubious as to the output really. If the bass was active that would be fine... but its not, and I'm after an older sound wit this one.
Yeah flat ones would be cool Darkstrike, I think Lace do make a very flat bass pickup, but its just a black monolith type of thing. I guess with that sort of elongated 'n' shape they could even go over the strings and double as a pickup cover (for the none existent pickup underneath!) and slide along on rails.

I've found that active or passive is no measure of the output of a bass. My passive Gus G3 with humbuckers would put most active basses to shame with the level it produces.

The problem I had with the Alumitones wasn't so much the low output but the fact that they didn't seem to be happy plugged into anything but a standard amp instrument level input. Running it into any effect made the bass sound really weedy because the pickups seemed to have a problem adequately driving the input.

Nice sound but too fussy about what I plugged it into for me.