Why become a member? ×

Problems with Audacity! Need help!!

Truckstop

Hello all,

So I downloaded Audacity with the aim of putting together some tunes that've been floating around my brain for a while!

The plan being, to plug my guitar into my Pod, line out from the pod to my laptop and record that way. Now the recording works fine, but I can't hear myself playing through the laptop. Which is problematic because I can't hear the click and when I come to do a second track, I can't hear the first one! I didn't realise at first, but I still had my headphones plugged into the pod when I was trying it for the first time. It's odd that it gets the signal from the guitar when I'm recording, but I don't get any sound out of the laptop at all, but I can hear what I've recorded already when I playback.

My headphones work and also my headphone out socket works because I can hear what I've played after I've recorded it but not while I'm actually making the recording. I can also listen to songs on iTunes and through YouTube too. Getting a little frustrated because I know the problem lies within Audacity and I just can't find anything that looks like it'll help!

Anyone got any advice?

Cheers

Alex

If you go to preferences and audio I/O, you should see a box marked 'play other tracks while recording new one'. It does exactly what it says. :)

You're better off monitoring your playing through the pod - you can use software playthrough but you're likely to get some latancy.

Edit: I'm still using a version that's donkey's years old, and a Mac to boot(!) so the wording and location maybe different on newer PC versions, but doubtless they shouldn't be too hard to find.

Edited by Musky

If you've got a Mac you can use hardware playthrough. If not, the latency with software playthrough will depend on your computer. Worst case scenario is the recording will glitch, but if it comes out ok you can fix any latency by zooming in and using the time shift tool.