Why become a member? ×

Tuck n' Roll, Baby!

Count Bassie

Got this recently from an old bass playing hero/avatar from my upstart days in the Miami, FL punk scene. Back in the 80s we had a pretty slammin' thing going on: Lots of original bands, lots of people going to see them- was quite the happening, the likes of which I haven't seen since the advent of youtube and facebook... but I'll stop before someone offers me some well-cooked oatmeal and a diaper change...

Anyway, I scored this amp from a guy named Ray Harris, whose band "Z-Cars" was at the top of the rock heap back then. What a great band- loaded with vibe, energy, and they were highly entertaining. Walking into their gig for the first time was a revelation to my young green sensibilities... It was an "Ohhh... yeah! So THIS is how you play the bass..." kind of a moment. He wasn't using this one, but we met up on facebook about a year ago, and this came along:

I've been playing it in our original punk-esque trio, "The Same"; we're starting off with a short list of covers from The Sex Pistols, Dead Boys, Husker Du, Ramones, Motor Head and a couple Who covers... my kids think it's sort of a kick that their dad is (still) a punk-rocker. Kinda cute. Them, I mean. : )

I've also found that running the amp's volume pretty 'hot' and keeping the instrument's volume back a bit helps with getting the most headroom out of it. Those Eminence Kappalite 3015s in the TL-606 cabs don't hurt either. Dang thing works- got some nice snarl and some satisfying, deep lows with this old full-contact model Kustom head.

And I always wear my safety goggles.

Edited by Count Bassie