Why become a member? ×

Thoughts on the Markbass Supersynth?

rushers

In the market for a Synth Pedal, the Markbass Supersynth seems to be the most diverse and have the best tracking.

Many people seem to complain about having to edit the settings via computer, but surely the pros of having such a multi-functional pedal seem to outweigh the cons?

I understand the electroharmonix synth is a great piece of gear too, just looks like too many parameters for one sound. I like the idea of having many effects available in one pedal...

Anyway, I'm ranting - [b]what are your thoughts on the Markbass Supersynth, is it a must have or a nightmare to use efficiently ?[/b]

cheers
J

i love it! i think it sounds FAT, you can hear it on the chorus of our new single here

[i][url="http://www.brew.bandcamp.com/album/castrovalva-i-am-the-golden-widow"]http://www.brew.bandcamp.com/album/[b]castrovalva[/b]-i-am-the-[b]golden[/b]-widow[/url][/i]

Edited by Ant

Personally I'm very happy with mine can't say I've experimented with many others though, editing via the computer is the only way I could see being practical and once you've picked your sounds you can pretty well live it alone so I wouldn't see it as a negative. The EHX is a very good piece of kit but I would say nowhere near as flexible with different sounds when compared to the SS. I'd check out the G5 and the Octavius Squeezer too.

I like mine a lot. It has a fat sound, because it has three oscillators that can be detuned. I really wanted to like the Octavius Squeezer, but with only one oscillator it never sounded that big to me.

The tracking is good - it responds quickly and tracks notes pretty much anywhere on my 5 string. Occasionally I find it a bit frustrating when trying to play a specific bass line - it sometimes misses a note or doesn't play it the way you articulated it. But if you are writing your own bass lines for the pedal, you won't have any problems.

The presets and editing by computer are good on the whole. You have a lot of control over the sound and dynamics. I wish they had added extra waveforms like square and pulse, and maybe an LFO, but that would have made it more complicated.

On the pedal itself, sometimes I wish I could reach down and tweak something on the fly but most controls you need the computer for. I would also like the controls and foot switches to work differently. There's only one switch to go through the presets. I keep shooting past the one I want, then I have to loop all the way around!

But on the whole, I think it's the best synth pedal that actually sounds like a synth, apart from maybe the Deep Impact. I'd like to get one to compare, but I'm not going to pay £500 quid for it!

the only problem i have with the pedal is, i know some of the crazy synth sounds i want to replicate, but i dont know what kind of tuning the oscillators would need for it, and this is only a problem because my ears arent good enough!! haha

i want some of those crazy harmonised lead synth sounds, cheese mania!

I had one, and really, really wanted to like it but could not get past the lack of waveform selection, nor the overall controls. Not that they were hard to use, really simply (once on the PC) infact, but for some reason it just didn't feel right to me at all.

It is a high quality bit of kit, and does what it does very well, but it wasn't for me.

I still long for an all in one synth pedal that does the job.