Why become a member? ×

Choice of Peavey: TNT115, or Combo 300?

CrapBassist

I have the choice of these two amps, and I'm after any opinions people have as to what is best. I play in a rock covers band, and I have previously used Peavey gear (a MK3 head with 4x10) and really liked the sound. I was just wondering about performance, reliability etc. the prices are too close to be of consideration.
I'm swaying towards the combo, purely because it has the extra headroom. Is there any big difference in sound/tone?

Big thanks, and hello! this is my first post!

Iain

I have owned both, the 300 has the edge on clean headroom. The 300 was noticeably heavier to lift and carry. My Mk3 was bought new in 1983/4?, it is still going strong, although not with me. The only failure was the speaker about 5 years ago, the glue holding cone to frame gave up with age. Bought a 15" Eminence from this forum and it lives on.

I've had both, the Combo has more... well thats it it has more!
The TNT always felt like a practice amp to me, it is more punchy but if its trouser shaking lows you want, the Combo 300 has the edge! Still use mine in our practice room. There's not a great deal of difference otherwise.

IF I was gigging it though I would probably go with the TNT to save on car suspensions and osteopath trips. The Combo is bloody heavy!