Why become a member? ×

Fender Modern Player Jaguar Bass

alwoodcock

Does look good but seems to miss all the unique jaguar electronic goodies, rendering a standard p/j, albeit a nice looking one.

Would have been a good idea to have reversed the p pickup, creates a more even tone over the strings when using both pickups (imo anyway).

Just checked the price, if they've put decent pickups these could be a good steal actually. even if not plenty of inexpensive replacements.

Had a wee noodle on one of these in a shop when I had some time to kill - absolutely stunning amount of bass for the money. Played like a dream, had a cracking sound, too. I've played basses worth twice the money that aren't half as good as this thing. Once I sell some odds and ends I'll definitely be taking a punt on one methinks.

xx

[quote name='Stroopy121' timestamp='1347441503' post='1800719']
Had a wee noodle on one of these in a shop when I had some time to kill - absolutely stunning amount of bass for the money. Played like a dream, had a cracking sound, too. I've played basses worth twice the money that aren't half as good as this thing. Once I sell some odds and ends I'll definitely be taking a punt on one methinks.

xx
[/quote]

You made me want to try it more!

For my hands on the one in the shop a couple of weeks ago. It's a little bit neck heavy (as the body weighs practically nothing!) but it's nothing that a decent strap wouldn't remove with ease.

Sound and versatility is incredible for the price! Really thunderous. The finish is really nice quality and the neck is superb. Truly comfortable and easy to play.

If nothing else, put it on the 'basses to try' list and make your own mind up after :)

I just received mine from Thomann this week. First impressions are that it really is a handsome looking instrument. Very nicely finished, the glossed fretboard is stunning. The chrome and brass hardware is nice, but is slightly tarnished (probably from sitting in the warehouse for a while) so this might need to be buffed up if I can be bothered.

Lifting the bass, I was taken aback by the weight of it - it didn't seem quite so heavy in the box, but hefting it onto my lap, it's a fairly beefy hunk of wood alright! Certainly much heavier than the Tanglewood Rebel I was used to.

Plugging in to the amp (Kustom 100W) was wonderful. Low hum, no crackling. The pickups seem quite powerful, and everything is much louder and sharper than on the Tanglewood. Although I try to play with fingers, I have nails (for guitar), and while I didn;t notice too much on the old bass, on this the nail effect really comes through, making the sound very crisp indeed.

What I have noticed as well is that compared with the Tanglewood, I have a lot of 'acoustic fretting noise' on the Fender. I don't know if this is down to the new strings, the maple fingerboard, the frets, the setup or some combination of them all, but it is a bit off-putting when playing and hearing such a clacking, fizzing racket in my left ear. The action seems low (2mm at 12th low E) but does seem to clear the frets up and down the board, and the relief seems fine (perhaps it could be loosened a 'little').
I'm hoping it's a new string thing and that it dies down after a bit of time.

So overall I'm well impressed with the look and sound of the Fender. The weight is a bit startling for me as a beginner, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.
Also alarming is the fretting noise I'm getting (down to my inexperience with bass guitars I hope), but it plays very nicely and the neck is solid and smooth.

For the £330 or so I spent on it, I'd say it was a bargain.